Sunday, December 23, 2007

Today Is Just Another Day!

The Morning started early. I just got up when the bladder told me to and stayed up. I took Clutch the Cocker Spaniel out for his morning constitutional and it was rather cool with a light frost. Made me wonder how things were in the Hill Country. I'll bet it's nice there now. We have a lot of coastal fog and humidity that makes the nights sort of yucky. We've even had mosquitoes the last few days. I read an article yesterday and in it the lady said that the Bolivar Peninsula reminded her of what Hemmingway must have seen when he saw the Florida Keys for the first time. I would like to have some of what she is snorting/smoking/inhaling or drinking. Papa would no doubt be surprised that the eroding sand spit would be compared to the coral Keys. The only common ground I see is salt water and our salt water is silty, not clear. Oh, well to each his (or her) own. I think that the Southeast Texas area is unique with the swamps and marshes and pine trees, and I don't see much to compare it with other parts of Texas, much less the Keys. Diversity makes the world go around. My world is fine, thank you very much. It is not crowded today, just me and?

I obtained a treasure, and at a very low cost. Remember my drummer beats a little different and I stumble instead of marching? I found a video of Brother Dave Gardner!! Who is Brother Dave you may ask? He is one of my heros from the happy days gone by, the early 60's. Brother Dave was a comedian, singer, drummer who did humor with a VERY Southern accent. He made a few LP record albums. The one I have is "Rejoice Dear Hearts", recorded in 1959. He relates pearls of wisdom that as only he can. He mentions a can of "after flippin' and dippin' snuff". Who knows what that means? Also he goes into detail about a sandwich that is very sloppy and says, "you have to lift and eat fast, lest it fall through the crust." I had the privilage of seeing him in person in the Spring of 1964. I was in college in Nacogdoches, Texas and one of my friends and I found two ladies of like mind and we borrowed a car from a friend and went to Henderson, Texas about forty miles away and saw Brother Dave in person. It was a great time and I always counted that among the high points of my college career. My college career had a few high points,but none were scholastic. But I digress. After we saw Brother Dave the four of us went to resturant in Henderson that served really good fried catfish and who should come n but Brother Dave himself with his female lady companion and a couple of flunkies. We applauded and he acknowledeged us and the other rednecks looked at us and smiled and grinned the grin of a cheshire cat. We were late getting the girls back and had to stop and call the dorm supervisor so we would not all get whatever and the girls reputation would be safe. A few years ago I Googled Brother Dave and found a website dedicated to him. He died in 1983 of a heart attack. I still think he is as funny now as I did way back when. The video was made shortly before he died but he looked as good as he did when I saw him live. Yes, Rejoice Dear Hearts!

Funny how the mind works. 1963 and 1964 were the two best years of my life. I had two very special relationships, one ended when her daddy got transfered out of state to a land far, far away, Kansas, and the other just ended, don't really know why to this day. In December, 1964 my world turned wrong side out and bottomside up and hasn't gotten right to this day. It's like the late Gordon Baxter said, "there's been marryin's buryin's and trips to Jerusalem." Good times and bad, but something has always been lacking. Maybe as long as I don't read my obiturary there is still time.

My world's not crowded, there's always room for one more, maybe.......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home