Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Been Gone A While.

I don't know what happened, I just lost my spark for a while. Too many hot irons in the fire and no gloves to use to pull them out I guess. There has been water flowing under my bridge and most of it is muddy. Looks like rapids coming up too.

On a somewhat brighter side, I've become a "writer". I write for a local weekly paper. I will not have to worry about jumping up a tax bracket. But that's allright I'm not in it for the money, it's what I like to do.

Last Friday I covered a bull riding at a local night club. The club has an indoor arena, a la Billy Bob's, in the back and they buck a dozen or so bulls every two weeks. The rodeo director/announcer is a friend of mine and he invites me over from time to time. It is a good place to go and kill a little time. I also know the stock producer from my days in rodeo. Last week there were 12 riders. The final score was bulls 10, bull riders two. After the bull riding there was an entainer, David Allen Coe.

Coe came onto the stage and I could not believe what I was seeing. The big outlaw has toaded out. His chest has dropped almost to his knees. His hair is long, way past his butt. What used to be a beard is now two thin braids coming off of each corner of his chin. The things are tightly braided and have beads about every six inches. The braids hang past his waist. He was wearing a black outfit that made him look like he was in a black sack. He was not the DAC of the past.

He still sounds good, is still as profane as ever and is still able to whip the crowd into a frenzy. I have no opinion as to whether or not he was worth the $25.00 cover charge. I got in free as a "member of the press", so it was moot for me.

The volume was blaring, terribly so. The crowd loved every minute of the show. I guess all is not lost for this generation if they still like old outlaws.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home